Ghosts in Sainik School Goalpara

Daytime and nighttime in Sainik School Goalpara are very different and contrasting. The activities of the students die down as lights go out and the grumbling of the generator dies down by 10 pm. The only audible sound that rings are the howling of the jackals and the foxes that inhabits in the shrubs and forest that surrounded the campus. Many stories made rounds about ghosts being sighted here and sometimes there. I haven’t seen any, but let me tell you, have felt many.

Unlike the senior houses, where seniors took the illegal liberty to keep awake for several reasons, junior houses didn’t enjoy such liberties and hence were always eerily silent after 10 pm. It was my first year in school and I was in my VIth standard.

A warm summer night, and the whistle from outside the reading room (room number 5) went off, marking the lights-out time. We quickly tied our respective mosquito nets and lay there in darkness, silent, according to the ‘rules’. I don’t remember for how long did I lay there like that on my bed, until the sound of the creaking door brought me back to my senses. Those days, I dint have a mobile phone to inspect the sound and neither an indiglo watch to check the time. My flash light lay dead for want of battery replacements, which I couldn’t get done as the CSD canteen was always occupied, every time I went there on Sundays.

My bed was at a slight distance from the door and three beds stood between mine and the door. The darkness was absolute and not even a faint shade of light existed. All I could hear was the distinct sound of an unhurried dragging walk. It paused momentarily somewhere between the door and my bed. Scared I was and could never know if there was anyone else in the room, awake and listening to what I was. A sound of a match stick striking came from where it stood…and then a long drag…of what seemed like someone smoking a cigarette. But no lights emerged from it. The dragging of the feet resumed.

I could not gather the courage to scream, lest I attracted this invisible visitor’s attention without being able to wake my roommates. The sound crossed towards the other half of the room, away from the door. A sound of fluttering pages came out. I perspired and still I wished I had a blanket to cover myself and hide. The sound became indistinct and the next thing I saw was the morning light and the familiar sound of our matron…”Utha Utha” (get up, get up).

Many of my fellow friends experienced the same. Some say, it was a prank. Might be prank it was. But a lot many things happened during those seven years, to me and to many others. All of them couldn’t be prank.

16 comments:

RAJIB HAZAM 3265 said...

really those nights were very frightening, I remember several stories were circulated about that incident,each story carrying a different theory.But when we were in class VI the sight towards the MI room, water tank was really horrifying during the nights.Nice one waiting to hear another from someone of Udaygiri house..

Shisir said...

Rajib, the SSGblog will complete one month of its existence on 15th March. Could you come up with any suggestion? A modest way of celebrating the day

Anonymous said...

I had been a stuident in SSG in 1971 batch

Anonymous said...

I had been a student in SSG before the school was moved to Mornoi, my number was 719. It's too nostalgic to browse out, now I am in USA with family. God bless SSG.

You may have my address ---
febsixmclean631@yahoo.co.in

Unknown said...

i m mow in ssg.im sidharthasankab saikia.roll no 4599.41st batch.m proud 2 b n ssgann also an udayan

Shisir said...

Hi @Sidharth, that makes you the first member who is still in school! Welcome. Could you upload some recent pics from school? or simply send them to bshisir(at)gmail.com? Welcome on board once again!

Unknown said...

what a fake story............ ha ha ha..........

Shisir said...

@Dennis I just knew one Dennis while at School. And with a bit of humble exaggeration, a friend still tells me how that dark Dennis used to be absolutely invisible in the dark. Are you the same Dennis?

Unknown said...

Hi all i'm thinking of joining ssg (my bro is already in der) but i didn't reacive my admit what should i do?

rajib hazam said...

Hi, Prajnan what I suggest is , since ur brother is there in school u can call him and ask him to enquire in the office or the best thing would be call up the principal's office and enquire about it, which can be done by ur father.Since your brother is there it will be easy to approach the Principal's office.But u should hurry also please give the corresponding form or prospectus number...........I could find these following numbers from the net of our school I believe that u must be having the most updated and correct numbers........all the best to ur future..and welcome to sainik school goalpara........



Principal- 287076(o) 287075(R)
Headmaster- 287118 (o) 287117 (R)
Register- 287119 (o) 287105 (R)

Rakib Ahmed said...

there can be few reasons why the admit did not reach you...you can ask in the post office if there was any letter ... i suppose that you have already done it...and ask your brother to talk to the principle and try to know if it was really sent out or not.. if sent they will have a record against your entry. so your brother can get a print and fax it to you or post it to you... since he is already in SSG it should not be a tough one........ don't wary you will make it to GGS....

With regards
Rakib Ahmed
3590

Anonymous said...

fake stories...shows that u r not proud of being an ssgians......shame on u all......

Anonymous said...

Hey guys.. those stories are not true. Its the anxiety of being away from home and under so many restrictions, which leads to these kind of feelings. Even I have been through these situations but we dared to experimented on these while we were in class 6.

Ronn
93-00 batch

Anonymous said...

So many gosh stories specially the junior houses But at last it turns out some body playing the gosh. I still remember during Durgapuja holidays few far away students usually does't go home they remain there in school during these short holiday.usually we all come together in one room for that period. One night one of us said he has seen a gosh entering room no4( corner most) in middle of the night, we woke up formed group and slowly went towards the room but found out to be of our friend , he was sitting in his original bed looking out side as he was not feeling sleepy now he is the army in a senior rank.

Adm no 2003

Anonymous said...

Ghost thatalso in assam I don't think so

Anonymous said...

I am a student in SSG (SPARTANS) .I believe in the ghost stories of UDAIGIRI HOUSE ......... the stories told by Anjan & Moksham Da

Post a Comment

 
©2009 Sainik School Goalpara | by TNB