Interviews: Sainik School Goalpara

I scrolled my eyes through the list of candidates who cleared the written exams, in the small fonts of the copy of ‘The Assam Tribune’. I finally rested my eyes on a particular number and a sense of joy erupted. I had cracked the written test for admission in ‘Sainik School Goalpara’. Like most other kids of my age, the sense of joy sprung from two factors; first for being able to relate myself with the reputed Sainik School Goalpara and second for seeing my name appear on the newspaper. Ha!

The postman finally turned up one fine morning and brought the call letter for the oral and medical examination. I reached Goalpara on the decided date with my mom and my uncle. Some ambassadors, jeeps and FIAT Padminis, stood littered in the grass courtyard of the venue and a black board stood on an aisle that read, ‘Medical and Oral tests, Sainik School Goalpara’. A mixed sense of achievement and awe ran through me, as I heard guardians, prompting information to their wards.

The full form of DC is Deputy Commissioner, while another old man asked the height of the Everest to his ward. Waiting for my turn, I saw going to be ‘SSGians’ coming out of a half opened door, tugging in their Shirts. Parents hurried to them, as they breathlessly asked questions about the interview. By the time my turn came, I was aware that I might have to walk in my underwear, if they suspected of ‘knocking knees’. A panel of three middle aged men sitting across a table greeted me as I went inside. A candidate was walking to and fro across the two walls, in his underwear.

They shot some general questions and after being satisfied, one of them said, ‘So you are from Dhubri.’
I could detect a glint of mischief in his eyes. He was wearing a uniform with some stars, out of which I couldn’t figure out his rank. So he continued, after hearing a meek ‘yes’ from me. ‘Suppose you are strolling on park beside the Brahmaputra, and you know the DC and the SP’s bungalows are located there. You suddenly see a group of children falling into the river. Who will you go to?’

I projected a thoughtful image on my face and said, ‘the SP’.

The balding man in white shirt asked me to read some alphabets to test my eye sight and I saw the daylight once again as my Mom and uncle asked me how it went. The postman came to my house after a month or so, bringing the admission letter for me. The round semi-distinguishable postal stamp read ‘Sainik School Goalpara, P.O. Rajapara, 783133’

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
©2009 Sainik School Goalpara | by TNB