Aniruddha: rolling & crawling

1996. I have reached class VIII by now and shifted to Aniruddha House. My roll number is perhaps the only possession that has remained with me since I joined in 1994 in VIth standard. My uniforms are replaced by new ones to accommodate my growing limbs and my taste of shoes changed from Bata’s naughty boy to some more fancy stuff.
N.N. Kannangoo terrorized most of the hours that we happened to stay in the house, with his famous saying, ‘I will take you for a high jump’. P.K. Jena, our able house master added spice to our lives by elongating after dinner house assemblies running into hours.
That was the year, I learnt to sleep, like a horse standing and ruminating what was being spoken by my house master – his sentences mostly starting with ,‘I have a plan’.

A rare feature of Aniruddha House unlike others was that the building did not pair up with another house to form an enclosed space, termed Quadrangle. Of the seven different Houses, it was Aniruddha house that remained open on one side, countered by barbed wire fencing…Needless to say that it was meaningless for us.

It was just another night in the summer of 1996. Our phase tests were being held and the next day, we had our second language test. Some had Assamese and some had Hindi. I was in room number 2 – a mixed and noisy group of students having either Hindi or Assamese as their second language. The outer most room was room number 1, beyond which the meaningless fencing started. On the other side of my room was room number 3.
A classmate (Rishikesh, 3342) happened to be from room number 3 and he was the only one in his room having Hindi. He came across to my room to discuss studies with other classmates studying Hindi. He happened to sit on a make shift chair made out of a black tin trunk and lean on the iron grills of the window on the ‘jungle side’ (facing the jungle).
I was never good at Assamese and it made no sense to study on that warm and humid night. I went up to Swahi Swamam Jonse, 3257, who happened to be the door keeper and shared my plan to create some fun.

As a precaution, we told everyone about it, excepting the guest (Hrishikesh, 3342), who we wanted to scare. There was another exception named Jyotirmoy Sharma (3299), who was sleeping. So we went ahead to execute the plan. I crossed the barbed fencing, aided by Swahi Swamam Jonse and tip toed towards the backside of the window where Hrishikesh was leaning and let go my hand around his head, through the grill. After a momentary shock, he figured out the prank, and suddenly there was a SHRIEk…..AAAAAAAA, from someone. The first thing that came to my mind was Mr. P.K. Jena and his N.C.C. cane. I turned around and saw my mate climbing the barbed fencing. By the time I crossed it, I could hear P.K. Jena screaming. I couldn’t make it to my room and sat beside Amar (3288) in room no 1, with semi audible heart beats.

Jonse having reached his desk, and with very little time to think, couldn’t come up with a valid excuse when Jena asked him (as he was the door keeper) about the noise. He fumbled as he said ‘Sir chutkule suna raha tha’ (was narrating a joke, sir). The entire room number 2, went over to the quadrangle like sacrificial goats, as I watched them rolling and crawling, sitting in another room.

A later investigation, brought to my knowledge, that the scream came from Jyotirmoy (3299) who was the other exception, and who was asleep when we carried out the prank. How he explained his situation, I reproduce in verbatim:
I opened my eyes and saw a pair of hairy hands coming in through the window from the dark. The scream went off, unknowingly.
Many of those who got punished that night, knows where the prank went wrong. Of those who still do not know, this story might help.

5 comments:

Shazia Qadeer said...

:-)....what fun & mischief !

sisir Udaygiri House said...

Hi Shisir, I appriciate your effort to bring up our school topipcs...

I have joined SSG. in the year 1994 (3276).
I have regreted a lot by joining SSG and may be keep on regreating for whole my life..
like other, with lots of dreams in mine and also to fulfill my parents dreams, I have joined SSG but no one knows that there was another story to written... and our dreams are to be crushed..
At the very begining I used to raise my both the hands when Any seniors or any of academy staff ask about the joining NDA. Now when I a remember that I just give a great laugh with lots of anger... but still as all the five finngers are not equall.. there are some who comes out with hhuge success and with great carrer but some just lost their dreams between reading room and princiupal office...I just remebre, my life was just like a shuttle between the seniors and teachers, who hardly has the chances to hit the net but more to go out of the court..
I was from Assamese medium and i just finished learning english basic e.i. only letters ABCD..And do you think by any mistake that you can speak or communicate in english only with the knowledge of english letter??? But the
great teacher of SSG Mrs. Jayashree sharma baruah want you to speak in english when I was in class six... and if you fail to do that. she used to laugh at you and make you embereseed instead of encouresing you or teach you... these are the great teacher of ssg.. under whome we were left to build our foundation to make a great carrer.. what a joke????
When I shifted to senior house then again another story to follow.. cause school is under the seniors rule.. with principal Col. J.B. Sharma..( dues laya he to you are through to next class)..
We have to work for our seniors like servent.. you dont even have time to take bath.. today if you have applied soap on your body to take bath..may be you need another 2 to 3 days to wipe out that..but you have to follow all the regular schedule with a layer of soap with your body.. sometime we are allow to sleep at 3:00 am and weak up at 4:30 am..by seniors.. but not single teachers took any step a\gainst all thease...If you complain against the seniors , very next moment teacher come back to the seniors and inform him about this .. you be rady to face the great rock music of torture..and its continue for more then a month.. ALL MY BATCH MATE REMEMBER ME GOING TO THE SCHOOL WITH MY ONE EYE SWELLING LIKE FOOTBALL EVERY ALTERNATE WEEK.. BUT TEACHERS NEVER SEE THAT.
Now when Notorious col. Bandupadhay comes to rule as a Principal.. its the turn of teacher..But Who will be the Victims??
Obviously we, always there to sacrifice...
Our school has great priviledge for buttering system.. and it was very effective during this period.. and all the staff were always behind you to caught you doing any wrong things.. which every child used to do.. and complain against you to principal.. and get ready to loose everything.. iincluding the word go home..Instead of guiding you to make your foundation for your better futue they(SSG Teacher) were behind you to ruin your future....Cause they need to earn point .and reputatoon in front of principal..and inthis practise we were crushed.

If you are a handsome.. and look good then your need not have to write anything in english exam if question were set by Ms. S neog.. A 60+ marks is always there for you, but if you are not then finished up writing more then 20 page, hardly 40 marks for you... GREAT SSG Teacher!!!!

Mrs. K sharma who leads the team of threatning student for cut their marks in science practical.. so you have to be conscious every time.. they can play with your life.. so they have did a lots... In my view she dont even deserve to teach in KG school, realy don"t know how she was there...

There was some good persons like Col. S.K. Verma, Mr. Verma(biology), Mr. R.A. Khan, Late Mr. D sharma... realy they are inspiration to the student....but apart from these people I don"t even see any teacher, who is good to respect even as a human being also.... they love to play with student life...
Being A X-SSGiam I never allow my kids to join SSG neither advice other to do so...
I really hate these people and their culture but not the SCHOOL.
Any way I hve a lots to write but.. still I am trying to give a full stop to this. And also If there isany mistake in my english .. please correct it and read as I am from SSG where 80% teacher dont know proper english.. and they are there to teach you!!!!
If somehow I have written something incorrect or wrong please feel free to counter me directly....

Thaks and Regarsd
Sisir Kumar Dowania
Udaygiri House.

Shisir said...

There are always multiple ways of looking at things. What you wrote is your honest standpoint, very frank and extreme. No one can deny, that life was never easy in Sainik School. However, I feel its time to forget the bad memories. After all these years, its great to be with schoolmates and I am sure our teachers feel the same way.

Lastly, no one could have stayed in a school like ours without confronting teachers. It was a way of life. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

guyz r u aware that Col JB Sharma Former Pricipal Sainik School Goalpara expired on 25th October 2008.

som said...

Mr. Sisir Kumar Dowania, What ever you told is very true and everybody accepts it. I too have some worst memories. but whatever happend i never looked back and tried to change it....I did not make an effort to stop what I suffered!!! therefore I never had the guts to write up the wild experiences. At a point the sufferings were so much that after then in these 7 years any other incident has nor crossed that benchmark

Post a Comment

 
©2009 Sainik School Goalpara | by TNB