Kabaddi

A little less glamorous in its nature, Kabaddi was one of those few games where anyone could participate, in the absence of an established way of testing one’s skills. (The other such game must be kho kho).

Location: The Kabaddi ground beside Aniruddha house.
VIIIth standard students were busy passing buckets of water for the event across the barbed fencing. Participants warmed up, in their ‘unestablished’ ways. While one flexed his wrist, a hairy legged friend (and now an opponent) stretched his knees. Today’s match was Lohit versus Lachit and I was in the Lohit team.

An interesting aspect about Kabaddi and Kho Kho was that, these were the games, where there were no established ‘dominant Houses’ and these were the events where labeled underdogs (as far as games were concerned) could hope to win. Lachit house was one such, during my tenure.

The shrill hooting of the whistle was followed by ‘Kabaddi – Kabaddi’ or by the more expert ones ‘hututtu hututu’. I was enjoying jumping on anything that resembled like a group of men. Went out several times and came in again. The cycle followed for a while and the whitening black board, indistinctly displayed the scores. It could at best be described as neck-to-neck.

A sudden realization hit me as I stood on my side of the court…ALONE. The rest were standing outside the court, in a queue eager to re-enter. Had I been placed in that situation today, I would have definitely run away. But those days, House spirits mattered and more importantly the responsibility to honour one’s existence as an SSGian.

My House mates shouted, and so did our opponents’. I felt feverish, as the Lachitian team, standing inside the court, jeered at me. They chose Palash Baruah (33??) to come and stampede me. As I have mentioned, how nothing mattered in Kabaddi. Whether I was fast and nimble, or that I could jump higher and longer. Probably there was just one thing that mattered – the size of the individual. And he was larger than me by a huge margin.

Perhaps goats felt the same way, tied by a rope for the tiger to come and feed on it, so that the hunter could kill the tiger. I could see Palash cross the middle line, growling like a tiger ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi’ as I started to run around the small rectangular space. I could also see a hidden sneer, as his lips moved slightly uttering ‘kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi’. I so wished that he would suddenly sneeze and the ‘kabaddi kabaddi’ would stop and he would be thrown out. But miracles seldom happen, the way you wish it to be. But they do happen nonetheless, in some other ways.

The jeering of supporters became louder as he neared me, and then finally touched me, deep inside my territory. Without second thought, I jumped on him and grabbed his feet. I could feel myself dragged for a moment and then some violent jerks knocked me on my face, as a cloud of dust blinded my sight. Suddenly the movements settled down and I could hear the whistle blowing. Palash had been stopped, and a team mate of mine came inside in return. We eventually lost the match and for many, it was an uneventful match. But for me, it was a personal memory that reinforced the right to believe in oneself.

19 comments:

Shisir said...

can someone tell me Polash Baruah's roll number?

Pranab 3347 said...

Yes, it was 3375, if i m not wrong

dowania3276 said...

No Pranab It was 3275.

Shisir said...

Dowania, 3275 was Polash Phukan and Pranab 3375 was someone else...as far as I can remember...

Shisir said...

Dowania have u ever played kabaddi in school?

Pranab 3347 said...

Shisir, indeed it was a great match 4 u but how u dared to catch that big swine.

Shisir said...

Pranab as I have mentioned, miracles happen. Though we lost the match in the end, and Samirul had a cut on his wrist with his steel bangle(as we couldnt take it off), Palash dint speak to me for a few days...hehe...Perhaps the fun was between him and me and not many could see that...

dowania3276 said...

Yes I did, I remebere Mahendra timung ( jakhmi sipahi), chotelal singh, kalyan Deka. I was also there but I only used to tear that white ganjee

Pranab 3347 said...

But I never played Kabaddi in school as my physique didn't permitted me and i remember Dowania was in our team, he might be there in extras.

Shisir said...

Dowania that reminds me, how we used to shout, 'Bedcover phaar' (tear the bedcover), as green was Chilarai House's house colour and our bed covers used to be green. Can any Chilaraian comment, if they actually used to stitch vests from bed covers...

nicholusbhattacharjee said...

neway sishir we are not of mamore khuwa loha...:)

Shisir said...

Ya Nicholus agreed. But my questions still stands...Did u guys actually stitch vests from bedcovers?

prasanta3266 said...

palash roll no is 3363

Shisir said...

Hi, Prasanta its really amazing to hear from you! Welcome to our family of SSGassam blog. Keep writing.

Ehsan said...

I'm pleased to see that Dowania remembered our Kabadi Hero "Jakhmi Sipahi". I saw...even had few bruise on knee, elbow and hip during Kabadi. But never saw one on eyelid that our Sipahi had.

Shisir said...

HAHAHA Ehsan, I am somehow finding the name Jakhmi Sipahi, very comic now. How did he manage to get hurt so BADLY?

Ehsan said...

I would say 50% credit goes to the oponent who was trying to drag him to other court and rest is ours. Because its our persistent "josh" that gave him courage to stop the unstoppable (...strongest man in our batch, Hint: Shisir had a question regarding vests for a particular house and this strong man was a proud resident of that house)

Shisir said...

HAHAHAHA Ehsan, I think I got who he was...He also had the longest name in school...Thou mung lung caho mun hun FRa...Could you guys stop him?

Ehsan said...

I can't remember that.....I think the unlikely bruise was more important than ppoint..!!!

Post a Comment

 
©2009 Sainik School Goalpara | by TNB