Cross Country

There were a lot of things about school life which, most of us disliked. Given an opportunity, each one’s list of ‘most hated’ aspects of school life will run into several pages. I also had my own, starting from the morning P.T. and ending with the often ‘foul smelling’ dinner at night. However, they were moderately bad, when compared to the thing that I hated the most – The cross country race!

Lest readers think I am a nerd, let me clarify that I was into several sports and 100 meter sprints were my favourite. But then I just couldn’t stand cross country races, the dusty rural route across villages and the occasional ‘check points’ where teachers would put stamps on my hands, and in the end, the depressingly sour oranges distributed to the participants.

Our green school bus used to follow us from the rear, throughout as a monstrous ambulance. I was always running close to it, trying to stage a collapse and get a joy ride all my way. However, my school had its way of injecting pride into the self, and there I ran year after year, close to that bus. However, it never failed to surprise me, to see many more arriving the finish line long after me, as I watched them chewing on the sour oranges.

Given the nature of the run, there were a few known good runners, who would eventually get to wear that gold colored medal with the red ribbon. Cdt. Monowar Hussain (3374) was one of them. Now it was really difficult to stand out amongst the worst runners, much more difficult than being known as a ‘good runner’ simply because so many of us were bad runners without doubt. That’s where Cdt. Nicholus (3334) stood apart, undoubtedly one of the worst runners during our times.

Its 2001, and we are in our XIIth standard. Many of us had gained weight (or simply lost stamina) with our self-assigned freedom to walk around during PT hours and eat around during games hours. Then the countdown began for the D-day! the cross country! While many went for practice runs, I would often see it as a waste of precious energy, which I could probably accumulate for the final day. The probable winners would be practicing with alarming regularity, coming back dusty and smelling of sweat.

The D day: A swarm of participants from the four senior houses gathered at the athletic ground, shouting house slogans and songs. Some IXth students also had the additional burden of carrying the flag staff of their houses. Finally, the sound of the air gun led to a momentary madness, as people ran like mad bulls. I looked out for the green ambulance and having sighted it, I smiled with satisfaction of having found my partner.

The final lag consists of a cluster of shops, often termed as the PWD area. And that’s where supporters keep waiting to cheer and drag the dying runners in order to make it to the finishing line. Good runners having finished theirs often turned up there to help ‘bad runners’. Now lets recall the two names, Monowar Hussain (3374) and Nicholus (3334) – the good and the worst runners respectively.

Nicholus was sweating and looked on the ground, as he crossed the PWD region, to avoid the embarrassment of being the ‘last to finish’ once again. He saw Monowar beside him, and asked him, ‘whats your position this time?’
Monowar smiled, revealing his gaping teeth, ‘I am still running’.

6 comments:

nicholusbhattacharjee said...

Again a good one.... but you could have changed the names for identity purpose...he he he... anyway i have the rare distinction of coming last in both junior and senior cross country...

rajib hazam said...

That is really a very rare distinction nico, I mean inspite of guys like sujoy(3385) and khirod(3275) how could u be last.....great work Shisir, the cross country was really tough, but the practice sessions were good as we could freely move in the "out of bound areas" like the PWD canteen. I remember it was Amit pandey (3292)who would complete the senior cross country twice during the practice while it was hard for us to complete it once even by walking

Shisir said...

Rajib, its time you came up with a story. As for cross country, I still pinch myself to ascertain that its real - I dont have to ever run like that again in my entire life!

Nico, hats off to you. I am proud of your cross country achievement.Someday you must narrate me your experience.

Shazia Qadeer said...

Shisir did u ever gain weight? Anyways hey Nicholos heard a lot about you , me too looking forward to your piece of experience !

prasanta3266 said...

hi....nicholus...u can also write some thing obout our nice visit to panchmari....hope u remember all those incident

Chota Mota Architect Bhuyan Babu said...

my relation with cross country was 300+....ie my rank used 2 stay above 300 most of the time...but i liked practicing the race atlest v culd hav an diffrnt morng run route!!!

Post a Comment

 
©2009 Sainik School Goalpara | by TNB