A to Z: Lessons of Life

Some amongst us joined the Armed forces, some are into academics, and some have established their foot holds in the private industry. Its heart warming to see SSGians in almost every possible sphere, successful in their own ways. During the last few years of my stay in SSG, many of the staff member would claim, how students from the institution always found a place for himself in the society and professional life, even if they did not join the forces. It dint make sense to me then. But when I came out and mingled with people outside the boundary walls of SSG, everything made sense.

This is what I have termed here as the A to Z of life. Its tough life in SSG, and its definitely not for everyone. But the ones who chose to stay will cultivate those qualities, willingly or unwillingly. Depending on one’s ‘desires’, one can stay above the water, or simply stand on the top, either by hook or by crook. I cite two examples:

I still remember a fat classmate of mine, who would always come last in the PT run and surprisingly always managed to reach for meals ahead of others.

Bunking class is a common phenomenon. However, doing so is trickier in SSG, as you also have to take care of the prying senior’s eyes apart from the poky teachers. We always knew the probable consequences of bunking classes and we still did. And the best of all, the quality always remain with us.
I had a friend who was endowed with a wide, round belly, who joined army after passing out from SSG. Posted in a border district of J & K, he would bunk and run to Delhi every month, to meet his girl friend. So frequently were his visits that I often doubted whether he actually was in the army. Undoubtedly he was an SSGian!



Very often it happens so that I get to meet fellow ex SSGians working and some even settled with families. What sets them apart is that they never change at all…the absurd gossiping, notoriety and endless recollections.

No matter, what I am today or where I am today, I can never deny that SSG taught me to believe in myself, with partial contribution from my SSG seniors. Every time I was caught with some mischief up on my sleeves, I would get to hear the famous saying, ‘meet me after lunch/dinner/games/tea’. So much so that there was a time when meals felt incomplete without getting to hear such statements.

Being a labeled ‘black sheep’ I happened to be the choice of most seniors when they wanted to do some research. In fact I even felt, that I had helped many to start off their career as a senior in SSG, and I am proud about it. Its been an amazing journey, with its due share of ups and downs, and SSG made who I am today.

Note: I am the Deben in Shisir’s story Whats in a name

10 comments:

Shisir said...

Dowania let me make a guess...the guy who always managed to reach the mess ahead of others must be Sujoy Dutta (3385) and the army man must be our very own Mr. Raktim (3345).

Shazia Qadeer said...

Hats off to you all who are making it one of the rarest & uniquest platform to essay your experiences of your almamater. For the reader its an open welcome & i am enamoured by the collective teamwork. I wish you all luck for it to flourish as days pass by ! All the best !

Shisir said...

Dear Dowania, this being your first post, I would like to welcome you to the SSG family. Looking forward to more posts from you. Cheers!

rajib hazam said...

thank you for your wonderful posts u(Shisir Dowania ) have really written what you feel and I believe that most of the SSGians feel the same,no matter what, once a SSGian always a SSGian.........what we r today is for SSG and it still remains and will always remain what we call "amar school be".....

sisir Udaygiri House said...

Hi Shisir, thanks a lot.
But Out of your two guesses one is wrong...
Its not Sujay Dutta(3385), the guy was Palash Phukan (3275)

Shisir said...

Dowania beware! I heard Palash Phukan stays in the same city as yours.

Pranab 3347 said...

Dowania, thumbs up to you for disclosing the inner self of every SSGian and I am proud to be an SSGian for which I have my own identity in my place and society. School has given us evrything to survive in this competitive world and it depends on us how we utilize our qualities and experiences. keep writing...

Shisir said...

Pranab, I would like to appreciate your involvement through your comments. But I am really waiting to see one of our own stories getting posted.

kingshuk said...

sepets...tuk sai lom...aru shisir i'm really very glad..at least for once u hav done something worthwhile..keep going buddy..

dowania3276 said...

Thanks.. raktim.(are dhemalihe korisu) . at least.... you have recognised.. the culprit.... hahahh.. and go through my comments that I have posted in the story "anirudha: rolling & crwalling"

Post a Comment

 
©2009 Sainik School Goalpara | by TNB